With the exception of Goldilocks and The Three Bears, my interactions with porridge have been slim to none. Also, is porridge just oatmeal? What about cream of wheat? – Is that also porridge? Maybe porridge just refers to hot grains you eat in the morning . . .
Not all grains agree with everyone’s digestive system and so there are those who would like a comforting, steamy bowl of grains without the gluten – or the poops. Brown rice porridge just make sense. Soooooo if you have some time to kill and looking forward to a warm, spicy breakfast THIS is your recipe!
I used short grain brown rice and unsweetened almond milk as a base, but also threw in some yummy flavors that scream “FALL!” and “PUMPKIN SPICE!”
Top this bowl of deliciousness with anything you’d like! I placed figs, pecans, and almond butter on top of my bowl, but any berries, bananas, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, sauces, and jams would be delightful. Let me know in the comments if you come up with a crazy combo!
This recipe intentionally makes large servings, so that you can refrigerate the leftovers and have rice pudding for dessert. You’re welcome.
Autumn Spiced Brown Rice Porridge
- 1/2 cup Short Grain Brown Rice
- 2 cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 cups Water
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ginger
- 1 pinch Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Honey + more to taste (sub agave for vegan alternative)
- Fresh Figs
- Almond Butter
- Chopped Pecans
- Step 1 Combine all Porridge ingredients into a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Step 2 Reduce heat and let simmer for about 50 minutes – rice should be soft and some liquid should remain.
- Step 3 Transfer to serving bowl and adorn with desired toppings.