These are not your typical ground beef, breadcrumb filled, meatballs – although, those are amazing. These are much lighter, juicier, and healthier! Also, they are stuffed with God’s gift to humanity: avocado. . . Shut it! Yes it is.
They are absolutely delicious and perfect on their own, but would also be delightful thrown into a pita with some tzatziki, added to sautéed greens, or smothered in tomato sauce. I’m leaving the endless pairing options up to you . . . go . . . be free!
Here we go:
Place the ground turkey in a large mixing bowl.
I used 99% lean Ground Turkey, but you can use a fattier version or even ground chicken.
Add the grated Zucchini, chopped Red Onion, chopped Dill, and minced Garlic.
Add in Sea Salt, Ground Black Pepper, and dried Oregano.
Using clean hands, mix all the ingredients together until thoroughly distributed. Due to the moisture from the zucchini, they are quite delicate and may not be perfectly round meatballs. Try placing the mixture into the fridge for a bit right before rolling so they can maintain their shape a bit better. I’m too impatient for this.
Now, we gotta shape, stuff, and reshape our meatballs.
The video helps to break this down, but you essentially:
- roll a meatball into a rounded tablespoon
- stick a finger into your spherical meatball to create a hole
- drop an avocado cube into the hole
- close up the hole by reshaping the meatball around the avocado cube so that it’s hidden
Place each created meatball onto a plate or tray.
Heat a a few tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a large pan over medium heat. Using tongs, place each meatball into the pan, Hear the sizzle?
Turn the meatballs as the sides start to brown.
Place a lid over the top of the pan to trap some heat and throughly cook your meatballs during the last minute or so. Salmonella is not fun.
Transfer cooked meatballs to a serving plate and enjoy!
Avocado Stuffed Mediterranean Turkey Meatballs
Ground turkey meatballs stuffed with the goodness of avocados and seasoned with Mediterranean inspired ingredients.
- 3/4 pound Ground Turkey
- 1 C Zucchini - shredded
- 1/4 C Red Onion - diced
- 1/3 C fresh Dill - chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic - minced
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried Oregano
- 1 small Avocado - diced
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil - at least
- Step 1 Place ground turkey, zucchini, red onion, dill, garlic, sea salt, black pepper, and oregano into a large mixing bowl. Using your hands, mix ingredients until thoroughly sorted.
- Step 2 Grab about a rounded tablespoon’s worth of turkey mixture and roll into a ball. Using a finger, create a hole or crater in the meatball and place a cube of avocado inside. Reshape the meatball around the avocado cube. Repeat until all of the turkey mixture is used.
- Step 3 Heat a large pan with olive oil over medium heat. Add the meatballs one by one to the hot pan.
- Step 4 Once beginning to brown, turn the meatballs to continue cooking another side. Cover the pan with a lid for the last minute or so of cooking.
- Step 5 Transfer cooked meatballs to a serving plate.