Popcorn is one of yummiest, healthiest snacks in the world (Okay, not the “WORLD,” but I’m dramatic) and often, it gets ruined by hydrogenated oils, chemicals, and too much salt. Without all that added mess, popcorn is is considered a healthy whole grain that is full of fiber and low in fat. Let’s take back the satisfyingly light “crunch” that is popcorn.
Just 5 ingredients and a whole ton of goodness!
Curry: you either love it or you hate it. – Even if you kinda hate it, this curried popcorn is subtle, zesty, and ridiculously addicting. Vegan, gluten-free, and sugar-free, this savory stove-popped popcorn is gonna change your life!
First, let’s talk about curry; I’m not the hugest fan, but I’m enough of a fan and a foodie to try this combo. Pretty much every grocery store, market, or seasoning aisle is going to have some form of curry powder. Grab it! It will work for this recipe, I promise. You just need some combination of turmeric, cumin, ginger, coriander, cloves, nutmeg, red pepper, chile pepper, saffron, etc.
The nutty coconut oil and the warm curry spices do a sexy flavor tango in your mouth that is sure to invigorate your soul. To keep that coconut-y flavor, I used unrefined virgin coconut oil. If you don’t like the hint of coconut, use refined coconut oil -but just know, your missin’ out!
Preheat the coconut oil in a deep pot or pan over medium heat with 1 or 2 kernels.
Once the kernels pop, your oil is hot enough.
Add the rest of the kernels.
Place a lid over the pot and wait . . .
Pop, pop, pop!
Start dancing to the beat of the pops and Grandma Ghodsei will smile down upon you.
Once there is more than 2 seconds between each pop, the popcorn is done! Remove from the heat and take off the lid.
Measure out and add the seasonings.
Replace the lid and very carefully, using oven mitts, grab the handles using your fingers and hold the lid down with your thumbs.
Making sure the lid is securely on, shake the pot up and down and all around. – You’re trying to evenly coat the popcorn with the seasonings. Flip it upside down a couple of times as well.
Once evenly coated, TASTE TEST! Say “Ooooooooh!”
Transfer to a big serving bowl or divide among smaller bowls/cups.
*You could essentially follow these steps and use any seasoning combination you’d like. If curry isn’t your thing or you’ve made this recipe 20 times in the last week, try taco seasoning, lime and chile, old fashioned butter, or even something sweet like cinnamon and coconut sugar.
Vegan Curry Popcorn
Healthy, nutty, and spicy, this savory stove-popped popcorn recipe will have you licking your fingers.
- 3 Tbsp unrefined Coconut Oil
- 1/3 C Corn Kernels
- 1 Tsp Curry Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- Step 1 Using a deep pot or pan, preheat the coconut oil and 1-2 corn kernels over medium heat.
- Step 2 You’ll know that the oil is hot enough once the 1-2 kernels pop. Add the remaining corn kernels and cover the pot with a lid.
- Step 3 The popping should begin shortly. Once there is more than 2 seconds between each pop, remove the pot/pan from the heat and uncover.
- Step 4 Add the curry powder, salt, and pepper.
- Step 5 Using oven mitts or pot holders, replace the lid and secure it to the pan/pot. Flip upside down, side to side, and every which way. The goal is to coat the popcorn with the seasonings.
- Step 6 Once evenly coated (it will be a nice golden color), transfer to a serving bowl.